Friday, December 29, 2017

2017 at a Glance

Dancing Lady, 1933.
With 2018 quickly approaching, I compiled all of my 2017 exploration of Franchot in this link-filled post. I like to see what I've posted each year and revisit articles, quotes, and summaries that I've forgotten. Unfortunately, I didn't post as frequently in 2017 as I did in previous years, but I feel that I truly learned a great deal about Franchot this year—especially in regard to his theater career, his last decade, and his relationship with Barbara Payton.

I also added quite a bit of items to my Franchot memorabilia collection this year. I'm incredibly proud of my collection, but I do feel I got a tad obsessed with owning all the Franchot I could. It was a stressful year for me at times and I comforted myself with Franchot photograph purchases. In the last several months, I've realized that as comforting as a beautiful, original Franchot photograph is to me, I've been neglecting the pure joy that comes from watching his filmed work and having my nose stuck in obscure books searching for references to him. I think I've regained that balance of collecting and researching these past 2 months and plan to maintain it 2018.

I wish you all the best in 2018 and hope you'll continue on this journey of Finding Franchot with me!

Plays
Hope for the Best-1945
The Time of Your Life-1955 and 1958
Mandingo-1961
Beyond Desire-1967

Television
Witchcraft: Doll in Brambles-1950's
Ticket to Tahiti-1958
Bitter Heritage-1958
Alfred Hitchcock Hour-Final Performance-1965

Movies
One New York Night-1935
Three Loves Has Nancy-1938
Star Spangled Rhythm-1942
I Love Trouble-1948

Missed Opportunities
Gone with the Wind-1939
The Country Girl (play)

Personal Life
Reflections from Friendships/Coworkers: Janet Blair, Jean Dalrymple, Arthur Penn
Love Affairs: Barbara Payton: The Beginning, The Altercation, Marriage-Muir-and Malfunction, Franchot on Joan's Beauty and more, Franchot on Joan's Humor and more
Gatineau Treasure
Irving Thalberg's Support
A Theater of His Own
Pamp and the Yearbook

Magazine Articles and Interviews
Franchot Talks to TV Guide
Franchot Talks about Uncle Vanya
A Wealthy, but Sensitive Comrade
Franchot Thaws
Franchot Tells on Himself
The Winning Mr. Tone

Blogathons
I held the first ever Franchot Tone Blogathon in April 2017!
I also participated in the following blogathons:
The John Garfield Blogathon
The Bette Davis Blogathon
The Judy Garland Blogathon

Photos
I did photo posts here here and here.

My Take
Playing Against Type: Discovering Franchot's Characters
"He's No Gable!": Musings on Frequent Internet Mumblings
Reflecting on Franchot this September

Social Media
Don't forget you can also follow along with my Franchot fanaticism on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest!

Fansite
My Finding Franchot fansite, a companion to this blog, is at www.findingfranchot.com.

Thanks for everything and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment