Saturday, February 27, 2016

Happy Birthday, Franchot!


Franchot was born on this day in 1905. It's hard to believe that he would be 111 years old. Even though I was born years after his death, I always think of Franchot as someone who hasn't been gone that long. I suppose it is because he comes across as so lively and in-the-moment in his work. He also had timeless looks, manners, and dress that will never go out of style.

Franchot remains relevant to me and, I think, should remain relevant to current and future generations of classic film fans. The performances he left behind are still as poignant, relatable, and stirring as they were when they were originally released. In Gentlemen are Born, he is an intelligent college graduate who struggles to find a home, work, and love in a recessed economy. In They Gave Him a Gun, he has great difficulty re-entering civilian life after a traumatic tour of duty in the war. In The Bride Wore Red, he's a modest postman sincerely in love with a woman who dreams of wealth. In Exclusive Story, he attempts to uncover corruption as an attorney. In Twelve Angry Men, he's a juror who grapples with determining another man's fate. All of these plots could easily be found in films today and people of the 21st century are still experiencing these same obstacles in their lives.

Happy Birthday, Franchot! Thank you for cheering me up with your antics in Fast and Furious and Three Loves Has Nancy, for absolutely breaking my heart with your vulnerability in Suzy, Dangerous, and Three Comrades, and frightening me in Phantom Lady and The Man on the Eiffel Tower. You are fascinating to watch, inspiring in your craft, and great fun to research.

Here's the tribute montage I made in January. I thought it was fitting to share it again today in celebration of Franchot's life and career. (If the embedded video does not play, here's the link: https://youtu.be/cnSbTLJ5i5w)


No comments:

Post a Comment