Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Early Influence: Charlie Chaplin


Source: Wikipedia

"I remember, too, how I used to imitate Charlie Chaplin. After I had seen him for the first time on the screen, I proceeded to make everyone's life miserable. I would dress up like Charlie and go waddling down the street. I carried a cane and woe unto any lady who happened to stoop to tie her shoe! I would ring door bells and when the people answered, I'd go skidding around the corner on one foot—at the same time tipping my hat."

In honor of Franchot's childhood love of Chaplin, I thought I'd highlight two funny gags in Franchot's films.
Realizing a lion has taken the place of Ann Sothern in Fast and Furious, 1939
Making Deanna Durbin laugh in His Butler's Sister, 1943

I didn't have a chance to create .gifs for them, but two hilarious FT movies that will have you laughing out loud are Love on the Run (1936) and Three Loves Has Nancy (1938). Franchot plays the second lead in both films, but steals every single scene in which he appears!
Source: www.moviestillsdb.com
Source: www.ravepad.com
 Source:
  • Tone, Franchot. "I've Always Been a Show-Off". Hollywood Magazine. June 1935. Page 23, 55.

No comments:

Post a Comment