Sunday, July 29, 2018

Updates

I'm still waiting to scan two things before I publish my post on Franchot and Sylvia Sidney (my scanner is currently down so I have to scan elsewhere) and it's been awhile since I posted a general "Where to Find Franchot on the Web" list, so here you go:

Finding Franchot Fansite
I've added many more photos from my collection and from old screen star magazines on the fansite. I still have more to scan and add, but you'll find there's much more than there was a few months ago. You can view those by clicking on:
Portraits/Photos
Candid Photos
Film Stills/Publicity
Newspaper/Magazine Photos
Selected Screenshots
Television Photos
Theater Photos
I've also started adding film summaries on the films page there and will continue to work on that. Eventually, I'd like to compose a full biographical sketch for the Life section on the fansite, but I haven't had the time yet. Hoping to make great strides in all areas of the site before winter.

Watching Franchot
Here are the movies/tv appearances available for online viewing that I've come across lately:
Alfred Hitchcock Hour: Final Performance (1964) on Daily Motion
Jigsaw (1949), Lost Honeymoon (1947), Trail of the Vigilantes (1940), This Woman is Mine (1941), I Love Trouble (1948) on Youtube
Suspense: All Hallow's Eve (1952), Shadow Over Elveron (1968), Award (1955), Bonanza: Denver McKee (1960) on Youtube
The Man on the Eiffel Tower (1949), Without Honor (1949), Phantom Lady (1944) on Internet Archive
Studio One: Twelve Angry Men (1954), Wagon Train: The Malachi Hobart Story (1962) on Internet Archive
She Knew All the Answers (1941), True to Life (1943), Moulin Rouge (1934), and The Wife Takes a Flyer (1942) on Rarefilmm.
Jigsaw (1949) and Dark Waters (1944) are free to watch if you have Amazon Prime.
Twilight Zone: The Silence (1961) is free to watch if you have Netflix.

The most recent DVD release has been the 2018 re-release of Dark Waters (originally on DVD in 2012). Unfortunately, I don't see anything slated to release in the coming months. UPDATE: I missed an important DVD release and want to thank the commenter who pointed out that The Girl Downstairs is being released on August 21st! I am so happy about this revelation as this is one of my absolute favorite romantic comedies. (I wrote about it here.) You can pre-order the DVD on WBShop and Amazon today!



Since Universal Vault Series released Nice Girl? (1941) about two years ago, I was hoping to see a follow-up release of Franchot and Deanna Durbin's second film and a personal favorite His Butler's Sister (1943). I have also been hoping for a DVD release of The Stranger's Return (1933) ever since it was first shown at a TCM Film Festival and on the TCM Network in 2014. I'm crossing my fingers that 2019 brings us more DVD releases as there are still many Franchot films not commercially available.

If you have the American cable channel TCM, look for Franchot in the upcoming showings of:
Man-Proof (1938) on August 2nd at 11:45 a.m. Eastern
The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935) on August 11th at 9:30 a.m. Eastern
The Stranger's Return (1933) on August 16th at 6:00 a.m. Eastern
Without Honor (1949) on August 27th at 11:00 a.m.




2 comments:

  1. Warner Archive is releasing The Girl Downstairs on DVD-R Aug 21.

    I, too, am hoping for The Stranger's Return someday. It's my favorite film with Franchot Tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for this information! I am so happy to hear that The Girl Downstairs is being released.

      Delete