Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Liebster Award

Elizabeth who runs an amazing Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. blog nominated the Finding Franchot blog for the Liebster Award. Thanks so much for the nomination! If anyone who reads here is not familiar with A Prince of Hollywood, you must check it out. It's full of fascinating research on Fairbanks, Jr.

In order to accept the Liebster Award nomination, I am supposed to answer 11 questions asked by the blogger that nominated me and nominate other blogs and ask them my own 11 questions.

My Answers

What is your favorite quote from a movie?
I absolutely adore the 1946 Hitchcock film Notorious. When Devlin (Cary Grant) rescues a very ill Alicia (Ingrid Bergman), he tells her he loves her for the first time.
Alicia: Say it again, it keeps me awake.
Devlin: I love you.
This exchange always moves me. It's such a simple, lovely conversation during a charged moment in the film.

Who do you believe is the most underrated actor/actress in cinema history?
Is it too obvious to answer Franchot? Clearly, I value his performances and think that his talent goes unnoticed far too often. I think Franchot is often written off in cinematic history as Joan's husband or just a pretty 1930's face, when his varied and lengthy body of work negates that assumption.

Is there an actor/actress that you think is overrated? (Can be past or present)
Although she was involved in some great films, I've never been as impressed by Jennifer Jones as others seem to be. I like her, but I've never been wowed by her.

Name a movie you never get tired of watching no matter how many times you’ve seen it.
Billy Wilder's The Apartment. It has everything (comedy, romance, drama, tragedy), the dialogue is clever, and the characters are perfectly cast. It's my go-to movie for any mood.

What is your favorite genre (comedy, romance, drama, etc.) of film and why?
This is a tough one! I love a good comedy, but I do feel I'm more drawn to dramatic films as I get older. I'm not really sure that I have a favorite though!

Past or present, what is your favorite TV show?
Mad Men.

If you were to star in a movie, who would you want to play your romantic interest?
Franchot Tone (again, sorry for such an obvious answer!) I'd love to work opposite FT as the wisecracking Ann Sothern in Fast and Furious or the sweet Maureen O'Sullivan in Between Two Women!

Favorite movie adaptation of a book?
Rebecca. I've read the book many times and am a big fan of all of Daphne du Maurier's novels. The film version starring Laurence Oliver and Joan Fontaine is just as romantic and eerie as the novel.

What was the last movie you watched?
Transatlantic Merry-Go-Round (1934) starring Gene Raymond and Nancy Carroll.

Name a film that left a strong impression on you.
Rebel Without a Cause. I first saw this at 14 as a freshman in high school. I completely identified with the struggles and hopes of the three main characters. It was the first film I watched as a teen that seemed to truly convey the teen experience.

What film and/or actor made you fall in love with classic film?
Shirley Temple in Curly Top. I wrote a little about that in this post.

My Nominations
There are 2 blogs I'd like to nominate for the Liebster Award:
CineMaven's Essays from the Couch
Thoughts All Sorts

11 questions for my nominees:
1. What film would you recast and who would you choose to play the leads?
2. Which film do you think has the best soundtrack?
3. Favorite character actor/actress?
4. Favorite fictional villain in any film?
5. Name a classic film that you think is overrated.
6. Name a film that left a strong impression on you. (I'm re-using Elizabeth's question.)
7. Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire?
8. Name a well-known classic film you've never seen.
9. Who is your favorite silent film star/silent film?
10.Last film-related book you read?
11.Name a film blog(s) you read regularly.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment